20.6.14

When Lilou met Anna

IMG_2273
IMG_2269
IMG_2241
This is the result of combining the bodice of the Lilou pattern from Tilly's book and the skirt of the Anna dress from By Hand London.

I liked the Lilou dress when I saw it but I'd kind of had enough of pleated skirts for a while after my Flora dress escapade. I wanted something simpler, and then I remembered making the Anna dress a while back and how much I liked the paneled skirt.
IMG_2270
With some strategic folding and measuring of pattern pieces it was relatively easy to match the skirt to the bodice. I just wanted to make sure that the back darts matched up with the seams of the skirt panel pieces and that everything matched at the side seams.
IMG_2284
I carried out an SBA on the Lilou bodice which worked fine, although I think I could have taken a wee bit more out, but I can live with it.

Fabric is a medium-weight cotton that drapes quite nicely. From, you guessed it, Goldhawk Road. (Luckily I'm going back to London in July so I'll be able to replenish my Goldhawk Road section of the fabric stash as it is going down fast.)
IMG_2323
All in all I really like this dress, it is really comfortable and simple and I think I'll wear it a lot. And I love the print.

Some detail shots of the inside (check out the overlocked edges, swooon!):
IMG_2322

IMG_2321

IMG_2320

And I want to highlight two great posts from superstar Belgian bloggers that helped enormously with the dress:
Last Saturday was a also a mini Belgian sewing blogger meetup in lovely Leuven.

It was lots of fun, especially as we got to say 'Proficiat' to Sew it Up champion Anneke in person!

And...I visited Pauli Stoffen for the first time. Seriously one of the nicest fabric shops I've ever been to! Not only is the shop well-stocked, aesthetically pleasing, and friendly but they wrap the fabric you buy in nice brown paper so when you take it home it feels like you have lots of presents to open  - yes, presents you bought yourself but presents all the same.

IMG_2104

9 comments :

  1. Pauli is such a great shop! Most fabric shops only offer cotton, tricot and canvas but Pauli seems to have everything you could possibly imagine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I got some lovely cotton chambray which I don't oten see in fabric shops!

      Delete
  2. Great dress! I really like the fabric. I think I have something similar in a different colour way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I love the print on this fabric so much! :)

      Delete
  3. This is gorgeous. I absolutely love the fabric, and the overlocked seams look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an honour! Thank you so much Emily! I love your dress! The fabric really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This fabric looks great! And Sewing with an Overlocker is more fun, the results look perfect. Have fun in London, I'm a bit jealous :) Greetings Ottilie

    ReplyDelete